Translate

Monday, April 18, 2011

Spindle Cell Tumour in Dogs

We have just survived a bath! I last blogged about my dog and her spindle cell tumour in January and you can pick up the links to the other posts about her there. I am living proof you and your dog can survive a spindle cell tumour. She has had to have a bath because she has a skin infection. It started about a month ago. I was brushing her and all her back fur was falling out and her skin was bleeding. My daughter has had cradle cap as a baby and then psoriasis and it was like that. Scabby lumps and her fur falling out.  The cortisone cream I put on it initially  made her tongue hang out and made her look gaga but it stopped the deterioration of her skin and eased the pain. I used it once. I then made an oil in a small bottle with olive oil , 6 drops of tea tree oil and 6 drops of rosemary oil. I rubbed it in gently and it cleared up half of her back over a fortnight. So I took her to the vet today for her check up and to get her some more help. Today she starts anti biotics and I had to bathe her with medicated shampoo. It was lucky the sun was out. She was tired after and has been sleeping. In spite of her back she has been much happier and far more active. I quartered her cortisone tablets and she has been having a quarter a day since she got the back thing. I had seen pictures of dogs with sore backs on the net and the owners were claiming it was the cortisone. Cortisone does make them very thirsty and food fixated. I have ensured she gets plenty to eat. She doesn't put on weight but she had lost quite a bit a Christmas and I have got that back on. I have been giving her potato with her dinner about 3 times a week and that seems to have helped with the incessant panting she was doing and had a good effect on her wellbeing. Potato has potassium and they seem to need it. In July she will be 11 and it will be 2 years since she had 90% of the lump removed. The cortisone has controlled the lump and for most of the time my dog has been a happy dog. She wasn't too sure about the bath today, but it looks like the shampoo has eased  the condition because she has been content. Can't ask for more!

No comments: